Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I had a lump after my vasectomy but it has gone down. Do I still need to go for a scan?"

ZocdocAnswersI had a lump after my vasectomy but it has gone down. Do I still need to go for a scan?


I went to the doctors regarding a lump after my vasectomy two weeks ago! They referred me for a scan which I am ment to have this weekend however in those two weeks the lump ha gone down to about a quater of the size it was and is not giving me anymore pain should I still go to the scan appointment or not? Don't want to waste time going there when I could e working!!


Thank you very much for your question. There are many different causes for lumps, and they can be experienced by individuals across a wide range of age groups with different possible diagnoses depending on the individual, their risk factors, and past medical history. So it is important that you speak with your urologist or the doctor who performed your procedure. After a surgical procedure such as a vasectomy, it is quite common for the body to generate fluid in reaction to an incision and manipulation of tissue. The fluid may commonly be blood (bleeding is one of the most common risks with surgical procedures), serous fluid (normal water in your tissues that seeps into the surgical area), or pus (from an infection). If the lump is from blood, it is known as a hematoma. If it is from serous fluid, it is known as a seroma. Often seromas and hematomas will be absorbed by your body. However, on occasion they can be at increased risk of developing into an infection. An abscess is a pocket of pus that has formed from your body attempting to wall off an infection. These typically need to be drained to be treated. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. I recommend that you call your urologist or doctor who performed your procedure (or the physician who recommended the scan) to discuss your symptoms and whether or not you still need to pursue an imaging test to evaluate the lump that you have or had.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.