ZocdocAnswersWhat is an over the counter pill similar to Tramadol?

Question

What is an over the counter pill similar to Tramadol?

Tramadol 50mg is by prescription only. Is there anything I can take that's over the counter instead or close to strength?

Answer

It sounds like your pain is quite severe, and thus I would recommend that you seek care from my pain medicine and specialist. Tramadol is a narcotic pain medication that is often prescribed for mild to moderate pain. There are no narcotic pain medications that can be purchased over-the-counter. So in a sense, Tramadol does not have an alternative that is significantly similar that can be purchased without a prescription. Tramadol does not have the same amount of addictive potential as other narcotics, though it certainly has some addictive potential. This is its main advantage over other narcotics. The best over-the-counter pain medication that could give you similar relief to Tramadol are the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen. These medications have some side effects including stomach ulcers and the potential for kidney failure and thus should only be taken if you have spoken to your physician before hand. Probably the safest pain medication overall acetaminophen. This is a medication for pain that does not cause the same stomach problems or kidney problems as the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Acetaminophen cannot be taken in severe liver failure, but otherwise it does not have any major restrictions other than the 4g/day limit. Again, it sounds like your pain is quite severe, and thus I would recommend that you seek care from my pain medicine and specialist. He or she will know what medications are best for your pain and will be able to treat your pain another ways other than medications if warranted.