ZocdocAnswersMy body is consistently numb and I always feel like I am going to pass out. What is wrong with me?

Question

My body is consistently numb and I always feel like I am going to pass out. What is wrong with me?

Okay, I am having a mixture of strange symptoms that is making me nervous. My body is consistently numb and I always feel like I am going to pass out. I would say this has been going on at least a month. It started happening every so often and has gotten progressively worse to the point it always happens. Sometimes parts of me go limp and it is hard to open my eye. I feel hazy. Sometimes my ear rings for a couple seconds, and sometimes I completely can't hear. Everything is worse on my left side. I have a history of pseudotumor cerebri and asthma, but that is it. What can this be? I can't afford a doctors visit and there isn't a free clinic around.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and so sorry to hear about the complicated symptoms that you seem to be suffering from. It is hard to pinpoint the exact cause of what you could be suffering from without more information. So I recommend that you speak with a doctor. Even in the best of circumstances, your situation is likely complicated. Pseudotumor cerebri can cause a number of different symptoms and may explain some of what you are suffering from. It is often first noted due to symptoms that seem to be related to a brain tumor, but there is ultimately no tumor present (hence the name). As such, it can be responsible for many different symptoms, especially those involving the nervous system. Treatment does require consistent medical care, however, and is not something that should generally be managed only through free clinics. Most hospital systems can arrange a plan to be able to help those with serious medical issues that require chronic care and do not have insurance, and it may be worth checking with some of these to determine what the best course of action is for you to help you get insurance. Ultimately, some of your symptoms may be difficult to treat, and will require consistent help from a well qualified team. Please speak with a doctor.