ZocdocAnswersWithin 12 hours, I've developed a 101.6 fever, I have chills, pain and coughing when inhaling deeply. Is this common for a cold?

Question

Within 12 hours, I've developed a 101.6 fever, I have chills, pain and coughing when inhaling deeply. Is this common for a cold?

Is this common for a cold to come on this quick? Just trying to figure out if I should take OTC meds or call dr in the morning. Have taken ibuprofin for fever and aches. Thanks for any advice

Answer

So sorry to hear about your rapid onset of your symptoms, and hope that you are already feeling better. In general, it is a good idea to speak with your doctor if you have a persistent fever more than 101F, especially if the fever persists despite over the counter medications that usually reduce fever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Most of the low grade viral illnesses that a person will have will not usually cause a fever higher than that (although there are obvious exceptions). It is important to make sure that there is not something more going on when a fever persists above that threshold. For example, sometimes an upper respiratory tract infection can predispose a person to develop a pneumonia or a bronchitis that requires treatment with a doctor. There are some viruses that cause elevated fevers and can persist. The fact that you have chills and pain suggests some sort of process that is affecting your system in such a way that your immune system may be trying to mount an attack. Due to the many different possibilities and the fact that this could be something that goes on to cause more problems, please speak with your doctor soon.