ZocdocAnswersIs a gonorrhea/chlamydia test conclusive within 12 days of possible exposure?

Question

Is a gonorrhea/chlamydia test conclusive within 12 days of possible exposure?

Based on information gathered, many sources stipulate that individuals should get test, at least within 2 weeks of possible exposure, in order for conclusive results to appear. My question is: are results conclusive within 12 days (I'm a bit anxious to find out) or should one wait until day-14 or afterwards? Are there any tests that can detect in less than 14 days? If so, which ones?

Answer

If you are exposed to gonorrhea or chlamydia by an unprotected sexual encounter, and it resulted in infection, then the test for this infection should become positive within a couple weeks. The other important factor is whether or not you're having any symptoms. If you are having symptoms of burning with urination, or vaginal discharge (if you are female), then this might prompt me to treat you regardless of the results of the test. So it is important to speak with your primary care physician. What I often do is if somebody presents to me and says that they had an unprotected sexual encounter with someone they knew who was infected with gonorrhea or chlamydia, then I would provide them with treatment for this infection in addition to doing the test. The treatment for gonorrhea or chlamydia infection is the combination of a single dose of ceftriaxone and a single dose of azithromycin. You can get these prior to leaving your physician's office and leave knowing that whether or not the test comes back positive, you have been treated. If the test comes back negative, and you continue to have symptoms, then your doctor can look for other causes of the symptoms. I think you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for this problem.