Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there a treatment for a calcified carotid artery?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there a treatment for a calcified carotid artery?


My grandmother is 78 and doctors told her that's what she had. She also had a stroke in the last week. I understand that the blood does get rerouted, but how serious is this condition?


So sorry to hear about her recent stroke, and hope that she is recovering well. This sort of thing can be quite serious, and needs to be treated appropriately. Yes, there are things that can be done to help with this condition. First, making sure that she is receiving the appropriate medical care currently while she is recovering is important. This may include blood thinners and other therapies to make sure that she doesn't have another stroke, or at least to decrease her risk of having another stroke. Once that part is taken care of, the next thing to do is to determine whether or not her blockage contributed to her recent stroke. If so, then more aggressive intervention may be needed. There are multiple methods of treating a carotid artery stenosis. Two of the more common approaches include either surgery, where the affected artery is cleaned thoroughly or the channel is somehow confirmed to be open, and the other is a stent, where a device is placed inside to open up the artery and, hopefully, keep it open. Each of these options is appropriate for some people, but it is important to determine what is best for her. Again, please speak with her doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.