ZocdocAnswersFoot pain when walking, but not to touch. What could cause this?

Question

Foot pain when walking, but not to touch. What could cause this?

The top of my left foot was hit with a baseball last night (pretty hard). At the point of impact it does not hurt to touch at all. Nor around the area or anywhere on the foot. However walking is fairly painful. What could be the cause of this?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your injury and your foot pain, and it sounds like this is significantly impacting your daily activities. It will not be possible to determine the exact cause of your symptoms without performing a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may need imaging studies, such as an x-ray, depending on the results of this exam. Therefore, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After a detailed in-person evaluation, this doctor can help determine the next best course of action. In anyone with trauma to a specific area, the impact can lead to inflammation of the soft tissues. The inflammation helps the tissue heal but can also increase the sensitivity of the nerves in the area and cause pain. You may also have suffered a sprain to the ligaments in this area. Additionally, it is important to rule out a fractures. There are multiple bones in the foot. Even a small, hairline fracture can lead to significant pain as these bones move and flex as weight is applied to the foot. I encourage you to raise these possibilities with a primary care doctor. After a detailed evaluation, the doctor can determine if you need additional testing and how your pain can best be managed.