ZocdocAnswersMy upper cheek bone is very sore to the touch and is starting to hurt more every day. What should I do?

Question

My upper cheek bone is very sore to the touch and is starting to hurt more every day. What should I do?

It isn't under my eye, its more towards my temple. I'm worried that this could be an abscess or an infected wisdom tooth trying to make its way out. Please help!

Answer

Thanks for your question. First thing to do is to speak with your doctor about this question to make sure that you start to get some treatment if it is appropriate. There are several different things that this could be, and you seem to have come up with a couple of possibilities. First, there are many different skin lesions that can turn into larger problems. In addition to things such as pimples that can turn into larger infections in the skin, there are other possibilities such as inclusion cysts that can become chronic problems that require more intervention. In any of these situations, it is not uncommon to require a round of antibiotics in addition to the possibility of needing to have an abscess pocket opened or even removed. Your doctor should be able to help you to understand if any of these need to be done. It may be appropriate for you to speak with a specialist as well, and an ear nose and throat surgeon, aka otolaryngology head and neck surgeon, aka ENT may be a good place to start. With regards to the possibility of a dental infection, your dentist may be able to help. Please speak with your doctor.