ZocdocAnswersI can't eat spicy food anymore, what can I do?

Question

I can't eat spicy food anymore, what can I do?

i used to chew tobacco for several years when i worked in construction company. But now from last six years i have stopped. My doctor said that i can only open my mouth 2 fingers wide. Also i can not eat at all spicy i mean no red pepper, no green chillies, no black pepper - none at all. If by mistake i do, my mouth burns down the throat. I can only eat more of a sweet or tasteless food. Please help me of what should i do.

Answer

This is an excellent question and one that will best be answered by your primary care doctor or ear, nose and throat specialist. Based upon your history you provided, it is difficult to ascertain your age, gender, or other medical comorbidities which are very helpful to elucidate what could potentially be the cause of the issues you are having with spicy food. For this reason again, your primary care doctor is best to answer this as he or she can perform a complete physical and history and diagnose the cause of these problems and decide upon the appropriate treatment options. If you cannot eat spicy food because after a little while you feel burning in your throat and mouth, then it could potentially be due to reflux disease. If this is the cause your doctor may decide to try a proton pump inhibitor to see if that helps with these symptoms. With regards to why your mouth only opens up 2 finger breadths wide, it is difficult to know what is the cause of that and I am not sure that it is related to the other symptoms you describe. To improve your jaw opening, try and open and close your mouth as wide as you can to stretch the muscles out.