ZocdocAnswersCan touching the rim of a pubic toilet then masturbating give you HIV?

Question

Can touching the rim of a pubic toilet then masturbating give you HIV?

I'm female and want to know my risk of exposure to HIV in the above question.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or OB/GYN. HIV is transmitted from one person to another through bodily fluids, and so based upon your question, it is unlikely that you contracted HIV from touching a toilet seat and then masturbating. That being said, based upon your question, it is recommended that you discuss questions about HIV transmission, as well as other sexually transmitted disease transmission and potentially also other questions regarding birth control and contraception techniques as it may be beneficial for you to learn what can and cannot cause transmission of sexually transmitted diseases. You may know this already, but condoms when used correctly are able to block sperm from entering the vagina and therefore block most sexually transmitted diseases from being transmitted as well as being a form of contraception. On the other hand, IUDs, birth control pills, and withdrawal methods can be used for contraception purposes to varying degrees of success but do not protect from transmission of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, chlamydia, and herpes. Use this question as a way to open a dialogue with your primary care doctor about any other questions you have.