Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have red bumps all over my body, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have red bumps all over my body, what should I do?


These bumbs appeared on my body today and they are itchy, I also have two spots on my body where there is a big nickel sized spot that is dry and is similar to what ringworm looks like, I'm not sure if that is it or if it is something else. However I'm worried today because of these red bumbs that appeared. I've already had chicken pox, but they look similar to that. I don't know what to do or how to get rid of them... Please help


I would definitely go see a doctor for this - you could have a systemic infection that would be important to diagnose. Before going, it's a good idea to take a picture of the rash (or several parts if they look different) in case the rash changes by the time you see the doctor. In terms of possibilities, your rash could be due to an allergic reaction, either to something you ate or to something a large part of your body came into contact with (for example a new clothing detergent). It is always important to think if you've started any new medication (or over the counter drug or even herbal supplement). If you have, you should definitely stop taking that medication and go see your doctor. One kind of full body rash is hives, which appear as bigger wheals and can also represent a drug or allergic reaction. Many viral and bacterial infections can also cause a diffuse rash. Viruses like chicken pox and measles as well as other viruses more commonly seen in children (parvovirus, for example), often present with a rash. Certain bacterial infections cause skin changes as well, and some of these can be quite serious and need to be treated with antibiotics. Certain rheumatologic diseases can also cause a generalized rash and can involve other organ systems as well. Because the possibilities for this are so broad, I would strongly recommend you see your primary care doctor who can decide whether or not you need to see a dermatologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.