ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have stomach pain everyday?

Question

Why do I have stomach pain everyday?

I'm a 21 yr old female I have 3 beautiful children. March of 2012 I was admitted in ICU for 3 months for Cdiff. A week before I had a DNC & Laboroscopy the doctor cut through my bowels & it leaked inside of me for a week. I was transferred to Three different hospitals because nothing was working. Ever since I have had terrible stomach pain on both sides down to my lower stomach it's a sharp shooting stabbing pain. Every doctor I have seen said everything is normal even took my appendix out while inside searching. Any comments that may help? Also I haven't had my period since the DNC that's been over a year!

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like you have been through quite an ordeal that is still significantly affecting your quality of life. In order to determine the cause of your symptoms, it will be necessary to review the full details of your medical history, including records from your hospitalizations. You will also need to undergo a detailed physical exam. Therefore, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the next most appropriate step. Given your prior surgeries, it is possible you have developed adhesions within your abdominal cavity. These are basically areas where inflammation leads to scarring and tissue deposition. It can cause your bowels to stick to the abdominal wall and can cause bowel obstruction, which is an emergency. These obstructions are typically seen on abdominal CT. It is also possible you have developed irritable bowel syndrome following your C. diff infection. This can be characterizes by diarrhea, constipation, bloating, and pain and may require medication for treatment. It is also possible a nerve within the abdominal wall was affected by your surgery. You will need to see a gastroenterologist to further evaluate your symptoms.