ZocdocAnswersI have high ALT and Creatine Kinase, should I be concerned?

Question

I have high ALT and Creatine Kinase, should I be concerned?

2012 Diagnosed with Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia Labs draw last week show AST 39 ALT 77 Creatine Kinase 230 Glucose 112 Hemoglobin A1c 5.9 Protien 5.9.

Answer

The labs that you have described are difficult to interpret without many other labs that are probably on that list of blood work that you had done, so I recommend that you discuss this with your primary care physician. Starting off with the AST and ALT, these are tests that are designed to look for liver damage. The AST is a little bit less specific than ALT. A slightly elevated ALT could mean many different things, but it probably means a small amount of liver inflammation. A creatine kinase of 230 is just barely of above the upper limit of normal, but could mean a very minor amount of muscle damage. I wonder if this autoimmune hemolytic anemia is indicative of another autoimmune process ongoing. An autoimmune process could potentially cause a small amount of muscle damage and a small amount of liver damage resulting in these labs. There is really no way for me to tell. I should also notice note that your hemoglobin A1C is elevated to 5.9. This suggests to me that you have prediabetes, a condition where you are at risk for developing diabetes in the future. This should be noted by your primary care doctor who should subsequently recommend additional exercise and weight loss if appropriate. For further interpretation of these laboratory values, I would suggest that you schedule appointment with your primary care physician.