ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for your eyelashes to bald when you get a stye?

Question

Is it normal for your eyelashes to bald when you get a stye?

My concern is the fact that it grew on my lash line, and eyelashes came off. I basically have a bald spot where its located.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had a stye and now you have a small bald spot on your eyelid where the stye was, and you are worried about whether this is normal or not. I am happy to give you some general information about styes, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician, or an ophthalmologist. They will be able to take more of a history from you (for instance how many times have you developed styes?) and examine you to give you a more accurate answer. As I am sure you are aware, a 'stye' is an infection of one of the eyelashes in your eyelid. More specifically it is thought to be an infection in one of the sebaceous glands of Zeis at the base of the root of the hair follicle. They are generally short-lived (7-10 days) and are typically treated with warm compresses. Sometimes they are lanced to drain the small abscess, or even treated topically with antibiotics. There are some processes that look like a stye but are longer in duration, which is why it is worth getting checked out. It would not be surprising if the hair follicle where the stye was fell out, however other eyelashes should not necessarily fall out. All the more reason to get checked out. Best of luck.