ZocdocAnswersAm I still able to carry a baby?

Question

Am I still able to carry a baby?

I am 36 and had a laser uterine ablation and Essure done 2 years ago. I am not having any periods at all. I have had 2 successful healthy pregnancies and vaginal deliveries prior to having these procedures. I was told before the procedures that I had an abnormally thick uterine lining. Is there any chance that I could get pregnant? If so, what would I have to do? Would IVF be a possibility? If I am not able to carry a baby due to the ablation then would they be able to harvest my eggs for a possible surrogate birth mother to be inseminated?

Answer

All of these are excellent questions, and should be discussed with your OB/GYN. While pregnancy or at least donating your eggs to another person would likely be a possibility, all of this would likely need to be managed by a specialist who manages high risk pregnancies to make sure that you get the appropriate care at all times and are able to carry the pregnancy in a healthy fashion. It is difficult to know exactly what your risks are and how likely a pregnancy is to be successful without knowing more about your overall health. Some additional testing may be important, and can include examinations and perhaps even some imaging to make sure that a pregnancy would not compromise your health or the health of a baby. Fortunately, many advances have been made in the last few decades that have enabled viable pregnancies where they would have been impossible just a few years ago. Speaking with a specialist and getting the testing that you need will be important. Your primary care doctor or current OB/GYN will likely be able to help you with a referral if they feel that it is appropriate. Again, please speak with your doctor.