ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing my urinary complications?

Question

What could be causing my urinary complications?

for years i have had numerous amounts of urinary tract infections, bladder infections, and kidney infections I have seen a urologist and not had any help I have been having symptoms such as cloudy and or dark urine, strong urine odor, sudden flank pain only occuring when i have the sudden immediate urge to urinate, trouble starting urine stream, and leaking without an infection or stone with protein always being traced in my urine but my cbc is completely normal aside from protein on my bloodcells as well

Answer

Thanks for this interesting question. Your recurrent symptoms certainly seem to indicate that there is something that is causing them to come back so frequently. As you have spoken with a urologist already, I expect that there may be more to this story that we do not understand currently, and he or she will likely have some additional recommendations for you. I recommend you continue to follow-up with him/her. In some cases, additional testing will be necessary. Fortunately, urologists have a number of instruments that help them to be able to discover what could be causing these infections, and so it is important to continue following up with him or her. There could be some sort of anatomic basis for these infections, or you could have developed some sort of problem with your immune system. Alternatively, there could be some more external cause of the recurrent infections. Some people need further therapy to help become free of these recurrent infections, so please continue to work with your doctor to make sure that you get the help that you need. If appropriate, there are times when a referral to additional specialists or to a second opinion can also be helpful. Please speak with your doctor about this question.