ZocdocAnswersI hear and feel rattling sounds from my throat, what could it be?

Question

I hear and feel rattling sounds from my throat, what could it be?

When I was about 8-9 years old I had a gold chain and was playing witn it , holding it long way and putting it in my .outh letting it go down my throat to see how far it would go. Did it one time and it fell down my throat havent see it since.. even when I ride my motorcycle I hear and feel rattling from my throat

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had an incident where it sounds like you accidentally swallowed a gold chain when you were 8-9 years old, and now you feel as though you still have a rattle deep down in your throat, and that you are worried about what might be going on. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a history and examine you. Also they may choose to perform a flexible fiberoptic nasolaryngoscopy. This is a scope exam that can be done in the office to examine your nose, nasopharynx (back of your nose), pharynx (back of your mouth), and larynx (voice box) to make sure that there are no abnormalities present. I am not sure what your current age is, but from the sound of how you worded your question, I am assuming that you are no longer 9 years old. If you did swallow a gold chain, and it was not done in the recent past, then it is highly unlikely that it is still present in your throat. More likely you swallowed it at some point and it has already passed. The ENT should be able to examine you and tell you what they think is going on.