ZocdocAnswersI'm feeling dizzy and my head is muzzy - how long will this last?

Question

I'm feeling dizzy and my head is muzzy - how long will this last?

I passed out and fell hitting the back of my head I presume on the concrete I was taken to hospital where all the tests were clear it has nearly been a week now and I feel really weak and my head is muzzy and I feel dizzy how long does this last would like to go back to work on Monday

Answer

This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care provider to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your appointment, he or she may order additional imaging of your head, such as a CT or MRI. Your doctor will perform a full neurological exam, which involves checking your reflexes, coordination, strength, and comprehension. It is very likely that you are suffering from a concussion, the result of falling and hitting your head which causes temporary injury to your brain. Common symptoms of concussion include headache and trouble with concentrating, memory, balance, coordination and judgement. Symptoms can last from a few days to a few weeks. However, there are other more serious causes for your symptoms, such as bleeding in the brain, so it is extremely important that you seek medical care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In the meantime it is very important that you take care of yourself by getting plenty of rest, drinking a lot of water, and most importantly, avoiding any further injury to your head which can result in second impact syndrome which can be fatal.