ZocdocAnswersIs there a treatment for 'Dysfunction of the belch reflex'?

Question

Is there a treatment for 'Dysfunction of the belch reflex'?

- It feels like I can throw up at any time (but it doesn't happen) - It starts around 6pm or later - It's over when I get up in the morning - It stops if I lie down on my back - I also suffer from Reflux (I'm 16 years old) - I can't burp - It feels like I have too much air in my belly (but my belly doesn't expand) and I feel really sick, nauseos. - It doesn't have to do anything with the food I eat because I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and not too much fat. I have a normal BMI.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear about your abdominal discomfort. There are many different potential explanations for your problem, but it does sound like you will need to speak with your doctor more to clarify what exactly is causing your symptoms, most of which require some sort of intervention to help you feel better. The constant feeling of being full can have several different explanations as well, some of which can be serious. With regards to your sensation of needing to vomit, the constant nausea, there are medications that can effectively treat this condition, but it would be important to identify what is causing your symptoms first. The gastrointestinal tract is a very well innervated region of the body, and any autonomic dysregulation can lead to some of the problems that you describe. Some different medications can also lead to these symptoms, as can other drugs. While a healthy diet is important, it is not the only explanation for your problem. Speaking with a gastroenterologist can be an important part of finding your answer. He or she can direct you towards any further testing that may be important. Please speak with your doctor, and get a referral to a GI doctor as appropriate.