ZocdocAnswersIs there something wrong with my joints?

Question

Is there something wrong with my joints?

The pain is in my thigh bone feels like its out of joint at times n I feel I have to throw my leg to the side real quick so it can click

Answer

I would recommend going to see your regular doctor about this at your earliest convenience. Your symptoms are certainly not normal, and they might be a sign of a serious underlying problem with the hip joint that requires treatment. The potential causes of pain and "clicking" in the hip joint depend a lot on your age and also on your other medical problems. In young people, such as teenagers, there is a condition called slipped capital femoral epiphysis which can cause severe pain and limping as a result of a separation inside the growth plate of the hip joint. This is a serious problem and requires help from an orthopedic surgeon to fix. At the other end of the age spectrum, in the middle aged and elderly, the most common cause of pain in the hip joint would be simple osteoarthritis - also known as "age related" or "wear and tear" arthritis. This condition is usually treated with physical therapy and with pain medications, but more severe cases often do require surgery. Your doctor will be able to take your age and physical examination into consideration to help you figure out the likely causes of your hip related symptoms and what you need to do about them.