ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have Laryngitis for 6 weeks?

Question

Is it normal to have Laryngitis for 6 weeks?

I have been to see the Dr. 3 times and tried 3 different antibiotics and antiacids such as omeprazol. I don't and never have smoked. I am really slim and eat really well. I can't understand why I can't get better.

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have had laryngitis for the past 6 weeks. You are right in questioning whether it is normal to have dysphonia (abnormal or absent voice) for 6 weeks as this does seem like a pretty long time. I am not sure what kind of a physician you have been seeing, but I am going to recommend that you seen an ear nose and throat physician, or ENT (aka otolaryngologist). There are a number of different reasons why your voice could be gone. Your physician is right in treating you with antibiotics, as that is a possible cause, and you are right to also use a trial of anti-reflux medications as reflux also can cause hoarseness and dysphonia. An ENT will be able to perform a flexible laryngoscopic exam which will involve passing a flexible fiberoptic telescope through your nose to visualize the your vocal folds. If the ENT has the capacity, they can also do a videostroboscopy which will look at the 'slow-motion' mucosal wave of the vocal folds. It is important to make sure that there aren't any structural lesions (such as a mass) that could be causing the hoarseness. In addition to a good exam, the ENT will be able to guide you in the right direction for further management of the dysphonia (whether it entail a procedure, voice therapy, etc). Best of luck.