Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am pregnant and I am with weird back spasm. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI am pregnant and I am with weird back spasm. What could it be?


I am 36weeks and 5days pregnant my 3rd child and going to be my a3rd c-section my problem is that I get this spasm in my back but I don't know if its a good thing it starts out with a serve chest pain the I feel my heart throbbing real fast and the this pain comes up from the bottom of my spine and travels up threw my back and into my neck it then numbs both sided of my arms and goes into my head and my head starts burning and throbbing and feels like something is squeezing my head I then become faint and dizzy and it becomes hard for me to breath note my chest is still hurting and I can feel my heart pounding I don't know what this is I've never had any back issues before or heart problems so can someone please explain to me what it might be my obgyn says go home and rest and relax that's all he says too me I do but its hard to do that when I keep getting all this pain so someone please help me


Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your problems. You did the right thing by speaking with your doctor about your concerns, and I am sorry to hear that you are still having the pain. As you know, back pain during pregnancy is something that most women will experience at some point. If you did not have it during your other pregnancies, that does not mean that it is not something that will never happen to you. While there are many possible explanations, with most people, it has something to do with the extra weight and strain of the added baby weight. As for your other symptoms involving your chest and your head burning, there are also many possible explanations. Your doctor will also be able to help you understand these. It sounds as if he or she is not overly concerned about them, and so you may need to ask for some help in controlling the symptoms that are affecting your quality of life. Speaking with your doctor about your concerns is always the best place to start. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and good luck.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.