search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have extreme swelling and pain on the left side of my face with my left eye swollen shut, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have extreme swelling and pain on the left side of my face with my left eye swollen shut, what should I do?

Question

Extremel painful and there is a knot in front of left ear

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have a bad pain and swelling in the left side of your face. The short answer to your question is that I would recommend going to the closest emergency department to get evaluated. I can't be sure what is going on without examining you, or asking you more questions, but you should get evaluated by a physician. There are a number of different problems that can cause severe facial swelling, and pain, leading to eyelid edema and the inability to open your eyes well, such as facial cellulitis or a facial abscess. This would likely also give you a fever, the skin would be red and swollen, and you would have a lot of pain. If there is an abscess (or fluid collection of pus), then it will need to be drained, whereas if it is just a cellulitis (tissue infections without a fluid collection) then typically treating with antibiotics will take care of it. There are a number of other causes for facial pain and swelling (other than infection) which is why it is prudent to get evaluated. Once in the emergency department, they may obtain a CT scan to help figure out what is going on. Best of luck and I hope you get better soon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.