ZocdocAnswersWill prednisone affect my blood sugar and cholesterol levels for bio marker testing?

Question

Will prednisone affect my blood sugar and cholesterol levels for bio marker testing?

I have been on prednisone for about a month now for asthma because of a cols. I am supposed to take a bio marker tests to get discounts on health insurance Monday with my work will the medicine affect the results? It tests blood sugar and cholesterol. Just want to know if I should get it done at a later time?

Answer

Prednisone is a corticosteroid medication that we use to reduce inflammation. In your case, it is being used for your asthma to decrease the inflammation in your bronchial airways. I recommend that you discuss this issue with your primary care physician. Prednisone like all other corticosteroid medications have significant side effects. These side effects can be classified as either long-term or short-term side effects. In your case, you are most concerned about the short-term side effects. Since corticosteroids act the liver to increase blood glucose, it is likely that if you were on prednisone that your bloodwork will reveal higher blood sugars than you usually have. If you think that this is going to be a factor when it comes to getting a discount on your health insurance, then you should definitely tell the person that's drawing your blood that you are currently on that medication. Another option is to put off the blood draw until you're off the prednisone. Your cholesterol level should not be affected by the prednisone at least not in the short term. Again, I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your primary care physician. Perhaps he or she can draw your blood at a later time after your off the prednisone your blood sugars have returned to baseline. Good luck.