Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have acne everywhere, what can I do about it?"

ZocdocAnswersI have acne everywhere, what can I do about it?


I didn't have that much acne appear on my face or on my body when I was a teen but as I older I have started to notice acne appear on the sides of my neck, jawline and around my chest and breast area. It getting to the point that I can't wear low cut shirt or even tank without someone noticing. And it leave really bad scaring on my body. I have try even thing I can thing off to get rid of it. But I don't know what it is so I don't know what product to use. I'm a 20year old African American women and I don't know what to do anymore.


It sounds to me like your acne is very severe. In these cases a very severe acne, it is often good to be evaluated and subsequently treated by a specialist. In your case, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she can review the treatments that are currently available for acne. The first line therapy is usually a medication called benzoyl peroxide. This is a topical medication that acts to dry out the pores and also kill the bacteria that are typically involved in creating the acne. This kind of medication can be prescribed or purchased over the counter. The second line treatment includes antibiotics and topical retinoids. The antibiotics can be oral or sometimes topical. The last line, which is used in severe cases and often used in cases where there is scarring is a medication called Accutane. Accutane is an oral retinoid and it works very well for acne. It does have significant side effects though. The most important side effect that you should be aware of is that it causes severe birth defects if you were to become pregnant. For this reason, doctors usually ask young women to sign a pledge to use two different forms of birth control anytime they are sexually active. I hope this answer helps, and please speak with a dermatologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.