ZocdocAnswersI have a lump under my armpit and breast. What could it be?

Question

I have a lump under my armpit and breast. What could it be?

Sore arm pit lump and breast lump. 26 years old. Could b breast cancer?

Answer

Lumps are a common complaint across many age ranges and can have a number of possible diagnoses. You should contact your doctor to undergo further evaluation and to better describe your symptoms. Things to note regarding your lump include the timing of onset (how long ago did you notice it?), how you first noticed it, has it changed in size or consistency since you first noticed it, have you noticed any associated nipple discharge, are there any alleviating or aggravating factors for your soreness? Given that breast lumps do raise concern for breast cancer, you should also mention if you have a family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer. If yes, it is useful to know if members of your family with breast cancer underwent genetic screening. Different diagnoses of a breast lump include a lipoma (a benign tumor of fat cells), a simple cyst (a collection of fluid within your breast tissue), fibrocystic breasts (normal fibrous composition of breasts in youth), a fibroadenoma (a benign breast tumor), phyllodes tumor (a type of breast tumor that has the potential to be malignant) or a breast cancer. Alternatively, you could have an abscess (a collection of pus in body tissue that your body has formed to attempt to wall off infection). It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a doctor. I suggest you see your doctor for consultation to receive a diagnosis and management plan.