Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have UTI symptoms but they wont go away. What can I do about it?"

ZocdocAnswersI have UTI symptoms but they wont go away. What can I do about it?


The antibiotics dont work it makes then go away for a while but it comes back I got an ultrasound done amd it was negative what else can I do


I would suggest you schedule an appointment with a urologist. My first question for you would be what symptoms are you having. Symptoms of a UTI could mean many different things. With that said, I will assume you are having burning with urination, increased urinary frequency, urinary hesitancy, pelvic pain, or some combination of all of these. The other question I have is how many times did your urinalysis and urine culture wind up coming back positive for infection. If they always come back positive for infection, then you should probably have an evaluation by a urologist for causes of recurrent urinary tract infection. This might mean getting a cystoscopy which is an imaging study of your urethra and bladder. If the urinalyses and culture are not returning positive for infection, but you are still having symptoms of a UTI, then it is possible that you have a condition called interstitial cystitis (IC). IC is a condition where people feel the symptoms of infection including burning with urination and pelvic pain but without any sign of infection. We do not understand what causes this condition. It is usually treated with medications that are used to treat neuropathic pain. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist for further evaluation of this problem. A urologist is the type of specialist most equipped to deal with both recurrent urinary tract infections and interstitial cystitis.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.