ZocdocAnswersDid I have a miscarriage?

Question

Did I have a miscarriage?

I think I have had a miscarriage but I don't know for definite. I haven't gotten my period in 4 months but I just got it last week. Last night I was going to the bathroom and I was having really bad cramps. After I urinated I looked in the toilet and there was what looked like a large clump of "meat." It had a "string" attached to it and it wasn't just blood or mucus type stuff that usually comes out and it was a little smaller than the size of a baseball. Is this a miscarriage?

Answer

Thank you for this question. While it is impossible to tell definitively whether or not you have had a miscarriage over the internet, the story that you are describing is concerning. A pregnancy test earlier on when you had stopped have your normal menstrual period would have been helpful, but at this point it may be less effective. As for the cramps and the concern for having delivered tissue in the setting of vaginal bleeding, that could certainly be a description of how some people can have a miscarriage. Speaking with your doctor at this point will be very important. First, you will want to have some certainty about what you have experienced, and your doctor will likely be able to help you establish a definitive diagnosis. Second, you will want to make sure that you are still healthy and that there is nothing more that needs to be done. While a miscarriage is one possible explanation, there are others that may require medical intervention. Additionally, some miscarriages require further intervention to help the woman remain healthy. Finally, your doctor will be able to help explain what happened and provide assistance with future prevention. Please speak with your doctor soon.