ZocdocAnswersIs diarrhea or fecal smell connected to herpes?

Question

Is diarrhea or fecal smell connected to herpes?

I have HSV 1

Answer

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your doctor. As you may know, herpes is a viral infection that causes blistering of mucosal skin. HSV-1 more commonly affects the mucosa of the mouth and lips, and HSV-2 more commonly affects the genitals, but there can be HSV-2 infections of the mouth as well. It is possible to have systemic HSV infections, usually of the esophagus and very rarely of the lungs, but it is very rare for this to occur in healthy adults. Disseminated herpes, if it does occur, is almost always in people who have some kind of immunocompromise, such as HIV/AIDS, or who are on immunosuppressing medications such as steroids. I am not sure from your question what you are specifically asking, but in general, herpes should have no affect on your bowel movements. If you are having symptoms of diarrhea, frequent bowel movements, or foul smelling stools, it is important to see a doctor to discuss these symptoms because they are unlikely to be caused by your herpes infection. Possible causes for these symptoms include infection such as E coli, inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, or malabsorption syndromes such as Celiac's. Scheduling an appointment with your doctor will help you better determine what symptoms you have that are important and whether you should undergo further work-up for these symptoms.