I lost my virginity last week. I had sex again and I bled again. Is there something wrong with me?

I'm sixteen. I lost my virginity a week ago on my period. It hurt a lot and my boyfriend couldn't get more than a third of the way in. Afterwards I assumed the bleeding was menstrual. I had sex again last night and he got all the way in and it didnt hurt aside from insertion. I bled again after and am still bleeding this morning! Please help I'm so scared!
Thank you for your question. It is normal for there to be some bleeding with the first sexual encounter for some people, but it is important to speak with your doctor about your concern. This is obviously true if you are on your period, and may be true even after that as there is most often a small area of skin in the vagina that is ruptured during early sexual intercourse. If you believe that you are having more bleeding than is normal, it is important to have someone that you trust that you can talk to about this problem. The best person is usually a parent, a doctor, or another adult who can offer some additional insight into the questions that you will have at this time. Obviously, there are many other questions that you will have as well. It is vital that you practice safe sex, and that you insist on using protection as well as birth control. There are many different conditions that can affect your ability to reproduce and enjoy sex later in life, so please make sure that you get the answers that you need now. This is a very important time, as the decisions you make now can affect the rest of your life. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021