ZocdocAnswersHow can I stop the diarrhea?

Question

How can I stop the diarrhea?

Well the other day i started having problems with my stool.. Its been very watery and yellow and ive been hurting. I had taken some imodem and it did work and i know pepto messes with me badly.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I would recommend that you meet with your primary care physician or be seen at urgent care, especially if your symptoms are not getting better. First, there are many causes of diarrhea, only some of which are infectious. It sounds like your symptoms started only recently, so the cause is most likely to be either infectious, food poisoning from pre-formed toxins, or diet-associated. Assuming it is infectious, most causes of diarrhea are from viral infections that resolve on their own, although there are bacterial and parasitic causes as well. If you are having blood or mucus in your diarrhea, fevers over 101.3 degrees Fahrenheit, more than 6 loose stools per day, or profuse diarrhea with dehydration, you should be seen by a physician for further testing. If you do not meet those criteria and are looking to control your symptoms until your diarrhea improves, the hallmarks of treatment center around adequate hydration and nutrition in addition to medications to reduce loose stools. Liquids that contain a mixture of water, salt, and sugar are best absorbed from the gut to keep you well-hydrated (something like Gatorade, for example). The BRAT diet is commonly recommended for nutrition that will not exacerbate symptoms. This includes bland foods like bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast. Finally, for symptoms control you can try Imodium as directed. If that does not work, you may alternatively try Lomotil as directed. In any case, I would recommend that you discuss these options with your primary care physician, especially if you meet any of the criteria outlined above for further evaluation.