ZocdocAnswersI've cut myself and it is very itchy, what can I do about it?

Question

I've cut myself and it is very itchy, what can I do about it?

I got it from keeping a band aid on it 24/7 and round it are bumps of like water!

Answer

Thanks for your question. It sounds like this is something that you should discuss with your doctor, as the bumps around it sound like they could be a sign of the infection spreading into the surrounding tissues. There are some types of bacteria that can get into these infections and cause changes to the surrounding skin that can indicate an infection. Redness, warmth, pus, loss of function, and pain can all be some of the signs that something is not right. In your case, the bumps around the wound could be a sign of epidermolysis, but they could also be a sign of something more serious that needs antibiotics and serious medical attention shortly. Unfortunately, there is no way to no for sure without speaking to your doctor. He or she will be able to look at the wound and the bumps that you are describing and make recommendations to help you heal appropriately. Some wounds need extra care due to either the body part that they are on or other factors that make them less likely to heal by themselves. Diabetics and others are at increased risk of serious complications as well. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.