ZocdocAnswersI was diagnosed with Chlamydia, shouldn't it be gone by now?

Question

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia, shouldn't it be gone by now?

3 weeks and 2 days ago I was diagnosed with chlamidia, I was prescribed 4 500mg tablets of azithromycin, after that I called my gyno because the sympotoms were still being bothersome, they told me to take another dose of the 4 500mg azithromycin. They symptoms are still persisting, shouldn't this be gone by now?

Answer

Thanks for the question, as it is a good one. First, it is important to keep speaking with your doctor to make sure you get the relief that you need and know that you are appropriately treated. When a person acquires a sexually transmitted infection, it is possible that they could also be infected with another infection. That is why it is important to be screened and treated appropriately, so that another STI isn't missed at the same time. Another thing to remember is that you can be treated for a condition, but if you remain sexually active with someone who has the same infection, it is possible to pass the infection back and forth. That's why both partners are often treated, to make sure that patients remain disease free. Finally, there is always the chance that something else could be causing the symptoms that you are feeling. For example, vaginal infections and urinary tract infections are common and can have some of the same symptoms that you are describing. While it is good that you have been able to be treated by your doctor, it may be important at this point to be seen again. Please speak with your doctor.