ZocdocAnswersWhat could a red stripe in one side of the throat mean?

Question

What could a red stripe in one side of the throat mean?

I have a persistent red strip in my throat, near the tonsil, behind it, basically in the pharyngis. I have this problem almost every day coming and going...since 9 years ago (!) basically after i had my very first strep throat or tonsillyts I feel ive neve rbeen the same. Is not painful, is juts a discomfort...why doe ti happen? only a long small red stripe? what's the cause?? i used antibiotics..i had a gastric endoscopy for which i could a mild reflux... but still..it is really the cause on the upper pharyngis??

Answer

Thank you for your question. There are times that modern medicine has difficulty explaining the common findings and differences that we see in clinical practice. In some of these situations, it is appropriate to continue testing until you have made sure that there is nothing serious that is causing the finding. In your case, it sounds as if you have already discussed your problem with some doctors, who have even completed some testing to see if they could find the answer. I recommend that you continue to follow up with your doctors. Unfortunately, you still have the symptoms without any real benefit of the testing to date, ie, no diagnosis. Given the fact that the symptoms of discomfort and the appearance of the stripe in the back of your throat have been there for so long without changing to a great degree, it is somewhat reassuring in some situations. Usually, things that are bad would have gotten worse over that time. That being said, there are many possible explanations. In addition to reflux from below, post nasal drainage is another common cause of sore throats and redness in that region. An ear nose and throat surgeon would be able to examine you and perhaps provide some information. Please speak with your doctor.