ZocdocAnswersI have not had a solid bowel movement in at least 15 months, what is wrong with me?

Question

I have not had a solid bowel movement in at least 15 months, what is wrong with me?

I have not had a solid bowel movement in at least 15 months

Answer

It sounds like you may have had constipation for about 15 months. I recommend that you see your primary care doctor. Constipation could be a sign of a lack of fiber in your diet. Fiber is found in vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Fiber helps bulk up stool by absorbing water and making it softer so it can move through your colon. Also, make sure that you drink plenty of water. When you don't have enough fiber, your stool can become hard and may get backed up which causes constipation. People who have constipation will have small pieces of stool instead of a large solid stool. Some people who suffer from constipation also experience intermittent diarrhea. If you diet does not include an adequate amount of fiber, you can also buy fiber supplements to see if that could help. Though fiber is one factor that can contribute to constipation, you should make an appointment with a primary care doctor to see if you need any further imaging. If you are over the age of 50, you will need a colonoscopy to screen for any signs of malignancies such as colon cancer. Medications can also cause constipation and your medication list should be reviewed by your primary care doctor to see if there needs to be any changes.