ZocdocAnswersHow to get rid of acne once and for all?

Question

How to get rid of acne once and for all?

I have never had any facial problems my entire life. I have always been complimented on my clear skin. However, in June I was took my certification test for Nurse Assisting. I was very worried and stressed about it. I started to get acne. Even after I passed my exam it has not gone away. This has never happened to me before. How do I get rid of these breakouts?!

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this problem that seems to have persisted for some time. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. There are many things that go into acne. At the heart of it is the reaction between your skin, your immune system, and the bacteria that live on the surface of your skin. This gives tips about how to improve your acne, and lies at the heart of most of the current treatments. Some of the first therapy is to clean the skin very well on a routine basis, removing extra make up or other debris that can accumulate and can serve as a food source for the bacteria. Once this has been accomplished, there are some over the counter products that can serve to help decrease the bacterial burden. Finally, improving your overall health and well being can help to clear acne as well. If none of these simple steps have helped, there are many medications that can be very effective. Antibiotics help for some, and for others there are creams that can help the maturation process of the skin to make it be healthier. Please speak with your doctor about this question.