ZocdocAnswersI am experiencing yellowish discharge in my penis, why is this so?

Question

I am experiencing yellowish discharge in my penis, why is this so?

the discharge are yellowish in colour and also i experience some pain when i urinate

Answer

It sounds to me like you probably have a sexually transmitted infection most likely chlamydia or gonorrhea. This is the most likely cause of this, especially if you have had unprotected sex recently. The typical symptoms of a chlamydia or gonorrhea infection are burning with urination and a white or yellow discharge from the penis. This sounds exactly like what you have. It is possible that you instead have a urinary tract infection, but this is less likely. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will likely want to perform a urinalysis in the office just to rule out a urinary tract infection. Your doctor will likely also send off a urine DNA probe for chlamydia or gonorrhea which is a test that can rule in or rule out this type of infection. This test can take a few days to come back and thus, I usually go ahead and treat for both infections instead of waiting to see which one you have. The treatment for gonorrhea is 250 mg of ceftriaxone (shot) and the treatment for chlamydia is either a week to 10 days of doxycycline or a single dose of azithromycin. I usually go with the azithromycin because you only need one pill. Please speak with your doctor.