ZocdocAnswersWhy are my gums swollen?

Question

Why are my gums swollen?

I've been very sick lately with a fever, I've been throwing up and have had 0 appetite. My gums have also swollen, and ulcers have now come with there being about 10 in my mouth, some forming near the bottom of my teeth. It's extremely painful and makes it extremely painful and uncomfortable when I force myself to eat. Is there anyway to improve my situation?

Answer

So sorry to hear about this painful situation. The best thing for you to do is to speak with your doctor to determine what exactly is causing this problem, or rather, this group of problems. There are many potential reasons for it, and your doctor will be able to direct you as needed. One explanation could be reaction to something in the environment, such as an allergy. Another possibility lies somewhere along the spectrum of auto-immune conditions. Other answers may include infection, in which case antibiotics may be appropriate. Regardless of what the cause is, your doctor will want to discuss your symptoms with you so that he or she can make the appropriate recommendations. There may be some reasons to admit you to the hospital, depending on how bad your symptoms are, what else may be happening, and what your doctor believes is the likely cause. In some cases, aggressive therapy is needed to be able to help you improve before you begin to have further problems with speech or swallowing. Most importantly, your doctor will want to make sure that you are able to breath comfortably, as swelling in the airway can be very serious. Please speak with your doctor.