I think I ingested a piece of toilet paper, what should I do?
There was a cut on the top of my gums in my mouth, and before I went to bed, I placed a chunk of wet toilet paper near the rear of it. I think i may have inhaled it when I slept. What should I do?
That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical care provider. Your doctor can better answer your specific question related to ingesting of the toilet paper after he discusses with you the size of the toilet paper, and whether you are having any associated symptoms of bowel obstruction such as severe abdominal pain, lack of passing gas or stool, distended abdomen or abdominal guarding. As this can be a severe and dangerous situation, it is best that you are evaluated as soon as possible regarding the ingestion of toilet paper. In general, it is not at all recommended that you have anything in your mouth while you sleep, such as gum, candy, toilet paper, or any other foreign object, as there is a risk that you may ingest it such as what happened in your case, or more seriously, you can aspirate it which means that it would go into your lungs and could potentially cause you to choke. For this reason, you should discuss the serious negative consequences of doing something like this with your doctor so he or she can offer guidance on safer ways to do something like this.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.