A radioactive uptake test said I had neither hypo nor hyperthyroid, so what could be wrong with me?

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism when I was in high school--I am now 21. I've had a low-grade fever with a rapid heart rate, fatigue, weakness, malaise, and severe heat intolerance since July. My primary doctor tested my thyroid levels and discovered they were too high and lowered my levo until my blood tested normal. None of the symptoms went away. She then ordered an ultrasound. My thyroid was slightly enlarged on the right side. Ordered a raiu test, and took me off my levo for a month. The scan showed no enlargement, and no hot or cold spots. The uptake said my uptake levels were normal and I don't have hypothyroidism. However, after being off the levo, all my hypo symptoms showed up again, so my primary told me to start taking it again. Can anyone venture a guess as to why my uptake would be normal, or offer any other imput on that part? Also, can anyone think of what may be wrong with me?
Thanks for your question. There are a number of different conditions that could be causing the symptoms that you describe. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is one of the more common conditions. In this thyroid disease, the body attacks the thyroid gland with through multiple fronts. It is an autoimmune condition. The typical course of the condition is one in which the gland will go through rounds of hypo and then hyperthyroidism, until eventually the disease burns the gland out and the patient is left with a chronic hypothyroidism. While there are medications that can be used to help manage the symptoms, the irregular nature of the changes in thyroid hormone levels leave some patients seeking a surgical approach to treat the problem. Another common thyroid condition is Grave's disease. Like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, it is an auto-immune disease that involves the thyroid gland. It is different, however, in that the body actively makes antibodies that stimulate the thyroid gland to create more thyroid hormone. These antibodies can also attack the fat around the eyes, and can lead to eye protrusion, known as exophthalmos, or Grave's orbitopathy. Please speak with your doctor about your condition and your questions.

Other Endocrinologists