ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about a mole on scalp?

Question

Should I be worried about a mole on scalp?

I have a mole on the right side of my scalp - I have had it since birth, my younger sister and I were born with the same one. But I noticed yesterday mine is raised and the border is darker than the actual mole. It seems symmetrical (I cant see it too well as its on my right scalp) Hers doesn't look like mine. It doesn't really itch, bleed or anything. Should I be worried?

Answer

You are describing a change in a mole that you had since you were a child. You are doing a great job at observing your mole for changes. Moles that are located on the scalp can be susceptible to sunlight which can lead to skin cancer. The important characteristics that you should look for are changes in symmetry, border, color, and diameter. If the mole or skin lesion in question is asymmetric, has irregular borders, has different colors, and expanding, then you should make an appointment with a dermatologist. Anywhere on your body that does not regularly have clothing to protect it from the sun is at risks. Other risks factors are people with fair skin living in sunny environments. Since your mole is located on your scalp, it is difficult to fully assess. You should see your doctor and have it looked at. Your doctor may perform an excisional biopsy if he or she is concerned. It can also be benign and may just need to be monitored. You should routinely check the other parts of your body for any new or changing moles. Always remember to wear long protective garments and hats when you are exposed to the sun. Sun screen does not protect you from all skin cancers but it is also important to wear it when you are outdoors. Again, please see your doctor to be evaluated.