Would it be safe for my 52 year old boyfriend with COPD to take Garcinia Cambogia?

He has COPD and has been on oxygen for the last year. He normally weighs around 150lbs, but due to his health problems over the last two years, he has gained a lot of weight, especially in his belly, and now weighs around 210lbs, He takes methadone, xanax, and albuterol daily. Would it be safe for him to take Garcinia Cambogia with his current medical conditions?
Thank you for this interesting question. In order to determine the safety of this supplement, a doctor would need to review the full details of your boyfriend's medical history, including a list of all his medications and supplements and their doses. In addition, he would need to undergo a full physical exam. Therefore, I recommend he schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to make recommendations on the safety of Garcinia cambogia. Garcinia cambogia has received attention of late as a supplement to aid in weight loss. Unfortunately, supplements are not regulated by the FDA like medications. Many supplements contain substances other than what they claim, and there have been high profile cases of supplements being removed from market due to liver failure and death. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a primary care doctor. For your boyfriend, it is important to determine the cause of his weight gain. It is important to rule out conditions such as hypothyroidism. He may benefit from seeing a nutritionist and also attending pulmonary rehab to increase his ability to exercise. He may also need to discuss adding additional medications to better control his COPD. Given the severity of his illness, I encourage him to see a primary care doctor.

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251