ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause lower right abdominal pain for about 3 days now?

Question

What could cause lower right abdominal pain for about 3 days now?

The pain came on suddenly and is still present but its not that severe, Its last about 3 days now but its only when i walk, cough, or move. When I'm sitting or not moving there's no pain. I haven't had much of an appetite and have been slightly nauseous but no fever. Since I don't have insurance I was checking all other options. I might go to the walk in clinic but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I'm a 20 year old female with no past history of problems other than irregular periods.

Answer

Lower right abdominal pain can be caused by a number of possible etiologies; thus, I recommend that you seek evaluation by your primary care physician or other doctor, such as the one available to you at the walk-in clinic you mention in your question. A common cause of lower right abdominal pain is appendicitis, an inflammation of your appendix. Appendicitis often starts as mild belly pain around your belly button that migrates to the right lower abdomen and increases in severity. It can be associated with nausea, decreased appetite, fever, and chills. Appendicitis should be evaluated by a surgeon as you may require an operation to remove your appendix. Other potential causes of right lower abdominal pain in a young woman include muscle strain from strenuous or sudden activity, hernia (a weakness in the connective tissue of your abdominal muscles), tubo-ovarian abscess (an inflammatory process that can involve your ovary and fallopian tubes), or ovarian torsion (twisting of your ovary). The severity of these conditions can vary in individuals and cause different presentations of symptoms that can include nausea, decreased appetite, pain, and fever. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without an evaluation from a physician. Therefore, I strongly advise you to consult with your doctor in person for an evaluation of your lower right abdominal pain.