ZocdocAnswersCould diverticulosis become diverticulitis and how?

Question

Could diverticulosis become diverticulitis and how?

After colonoscopy in June it showed I have diverticulosis and grade II hemmoroids. Lately been having constant stomach pain, nausea, constipation (which may come pain meds). Told by doc to add more fiber to my diet which I'm trying to do. I also had tests done for pelvic pain/spasms and from those tests doc has sent me to a physical therapist for the pelvic pain/spasms.

Answer

Thank you for question about diverticulosis and diverticulitis. I recommend that you speak with your doctor to discuss this further. Diverticulosis can certainly become diverticulitis. Diverticulosis are small areas of outpouching in the colon, usually in the lower part of the colon known as the sigmoid where there is increased pressure. Diverticulosis represents areas of weakness in the colon wall. They are usually asymptomatic, meaning you won't even notice that you have it and they will only be discovered from interventions such as colonoscopy. Other times, you may experience some rectal bleeding, cramping, or tenderness. The best thing for diverticulosis is to prevent constipation by eating a high fiber diet. Fiber supplements and stool softeners may be needed, especially if you are on narcotic pain medications that cause constipation. In the past, it was believed that small seeds, nuts, and popcorn should be avoided in people with diverticulosis because they could get stuck in the outpouchings and become infected; however, recent studies have shown that there is no true evidence for this. Diverticulitis occurs when the outpouchings in diverticulosis become inflamed and potentially infected. With diverticulitis, you might experience fever, chills, left lower abdominal pain and tenderness. Antibiotics and hospital admissions are sometimes needed in these cases. Again, please speak with your doctor for further management and questions you may have.