ZocdocAnswersWhy am I so tired?

Question

Why am I so tired?

I sleep usually 6-9 hours per night, and yet I've found that lately even after that, I'm so tired It is literally painful to keep my eyes open, and when I'm talking I actually forget what I'm saying while saying it, causing me to mess up words and such.

Answer

So sorry to hear about your fatigue. There are many different things that could be causing this, and some more information on your part would help quite a bit to determine what could be the specific problem for you. That is why it is important to speak with your doctor about this. Depending on your size and a number of other factors, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is one of the most likely causes of daytime fatigue or excessive daytime sleepiness. There are a number of available tools that can help you understand your risk for OSA, but if you snore and are overweight, there is definitely a chance that you could have OSA. Fortunately, there are a number of things that can be done to help with obstructive sleep apnea, including positive airway pressure and even very promising new surgical therapies. There are other ideas as well, including anemia (especially common among women with heavy menstrual bleeding), thyroid problems, infections, and a number of other conditions. Due to the long list of things that could potentially explain your symptoms, it will be important to work with your doctor to get some help. Your primary care doctor will likely be able to do the initial testing and triage, and can then make recommendations as needed. Please speak with your doctor.