ZocdocAnswersI have dark lines around my nose. What is wrong with me?

Question

I have dark lines around my nose. What is wrong with me?

I started scratching my nose like dragging my nail all the way from the top to the bottom to get rid of the whiteheads. nd now i have dark lines around nose. my age is 18. nd i want to get rid of it..

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with whiteheads on your nose and that you have been managing them by scratching your nose with your fingernail and now you have swelling underneath your eyes that you want to get rid of. I am happy to give you some of my thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with a dermatologist to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a medical history and examine you which is ultimately what you need to get an accurate diagnosis. Also, the dermatologist will be able to help determine what the best management plan is for your skin abnormality (what you describe as whiteheads) is in the first place. It is possible that in scraping the whiteheads from your nose with your fingernail that you caused some inflammation of the skin around your nose and your eyes (this is caused by histamine release from the direct trauma to the skin) which will cause some local tissue swelling. This will in turn catch the light differently, which will show up as shadows, or 'dark lines' as you describe. That is my best guess as to what is going on. Again, I recommend that you get evaluated by a dermatologist to see if this is in fact what is going on.