Make an appointment:
(i.e. Dermatologists)

I get reoccurring symptoms of sharp pains alternating with mild pains in my chest. Is there something wrong with me?

I’m 24 years old, rather fit and otherwise healthy It first started about 15 months ago when I had cleared out my apartment, but stayed a night over without the furniture in (possibly dust related). I started to have a cough with a sort of fluffy sensation in my chest. The feeling persisted for about 2 or 3 days. Since then, about every week or so, I get reoccurring symptoms of sharp pains alternating with mild pains in my chest. It often feels like I need to cough maybe 3x/hour and sometimes the cough sounds like the sound a seal makes. Other times I cough and it has a high pitch sound to it. The symptoms seem to intensify with stress. The first few times they suggested it was asthma; they've given me a blue Salbutamol and brown inhaler, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be and what steps I should take to improve the situation. Your Help would be greatly appreciated. Regards,
Thanks for your question and I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. A cough in an otherwise well person can be frustrating for both the patient and the doctor. You are correct in questioning whether or not the original insult (the dust from your furniture, perhaps) had anything to do with this, but it is also relevant to realize that you have now moved to a new location and there may be some new allergies that you are experiencing in your new location. For example, if you now have a cat, live in a more rural location, have a new room mate, etc, you could be reacting to these changes. Chest pain itself can be a very concerning symptom, and so you will need to speak with your doctor to make sure that there is nothing more serious than just the cough that you are describing. While heart attacks are uncommon in young people who are otherwise well, it is important to consider all of the possibilities if you are not getting well quickly. Other things could include infections, either deep seated or simple things, and also many other options. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and undergo the additional testing that he or she may feel is necessary.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Other Cardiologists