ZocdocAnswersThe sleep aids my doctor prescribed aren't working. What can I do about it?

Question

The sleep aids my doctor prescribed aren't working. What can I do about it?

I just quit smoking and drinking and my parents r pushing me to go to college and im trying to find a job could one of these be causing me to lose sleep

Answer

I recommend that you discuss your question further with your doctor. Any of these could be a reason for you to not be sleeping well. It is quite common for many people to have difficulty sleeping when they are going through changes in their life. This is because emotional turmoil and anxiety can be one of the big reasons that people don't sleep well. There are many other reasons as well, and older people can tend to have a much more difficult time than younger people. As you seem to have experienced, there are medications that can help people to sleep better and to fall asleep. Usually, doctors will recommend improving sleep hygiene before trying medications, however. This is because the medications can cause people to need to have these medications in the future. Rather than using medications, increasing exercise during the day can help people to sleep. Other things that can be effective include avoiding stimulating activities right before bed time, such as watching TV in bed. Avoiding caffeine right before bed is also an important thing to do if you want to be able to sleep better. If all of this is not working and you are still having difficulty, please speak with your doctor about this question.