ZocdocAnswersMy son has an angry looking bump. Should he see a doctor?

Question

My son has an angry looking bump. Should he see a doctor?

He has a large pimple looking bump that has a white head and is surrounded by a 1/4" border of red, with a red streak coming off of one side of it that is another 1/4' longer than the red border. He says it's very painful and it just emerged today. is this something I should take him to the doctor for? I have a photo I can send.

Answer

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this site is not currently enabled to receive photos, and I am not sure that it would be appropriate for someone to be managing a condition from afar. In general, we can provide some guidelines, but questions such as what you describe need to be reviewed by a physician in person. Some of the suggestions that I can provide include describing some of the high risk areas and some of the signs that you need to do something immediately. First, high fevers, chills, night sweats, and similar symptoms can be a sign that the infection has spread to the blood stream. The streaks that you describe could also be a sign of the infection tracking to other body parts, and would be a reason enough to speak with a doctor soon. Additionally, anything that starts to impair normal body functions, such as muscle movement, or other things that are abnormal such as fatigue, somnolence, etc, can all be signs that you should seek immediate medical attention. If your son has any of these, please see a doctor immediately. Based off of the information you have provided, please speak with your son's doctor.