I suddenly felt calf pain (felt like I was kicked) followed by decreased dorsiflexion. What is wrong with me?

I took a step forward and felt as if someone kicked me hard on my calf. No one did. I froze for a minute thinking the pain would pass. Tried to step but intense pain. Can light plantar flex but lil dorsiflex. Sitting causes immediate stiffness. I treated it with lidocaine patch, heat patch and ace bandage. Feel like I have to walk keeping my injured leg out in front of me.Can't stand straight up with leg straight even without weight. Slight movement with Thompson Test. Calf pain is dominant. Some spasms. I am a student with lack $ and no medical insurance. Hoping it will heal by itself. Any guess at so what I did and my best chance of healing it affordably?
I am sorry to hear about your injury. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations, a physician would need to perform a thorough physical exam and collect a full medical history. In addition, you may require additional tests. It will not be possible to provide a definitive diagnosis and treatment options without this information. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. It is possible you suffered an orthopedic injury to your calf that has caused this pain. Strain or rupture of one of the calf muscles (soleus or gastrocnemius) can cause pain. Achilles tendon rupture can cause severe pain and difficulty with normal use of the lower leg. Prior injury to one of your leg bones may have led to chronic fragility, and it is even possible you have suffered an atypical sort of fracture of the leg. Rupture of a blood vessel can lead to severe, sudden onset pain. Finally, the development of a deep vein thrombosis can cause severe calf pain. This can lead to a pulmonary embolism, which is a life threatening disease. Patients with deep vein thromboses typically require several months of anticoagulation. I strongly encourage you to discuss these issues with a primary care physician.

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217